Recipe by Katie Mae at Plantz St. • Originally posted on Plantz St.
Editor’s note: Here’s a plant-based recipe for eggplant parmesan that is both dairy free and gluten free. This would make a great healthy main dish for dinner. Enjoy!
How to make this plant-based recipe
Revolutionary Recipe: Eggplant “Parmesan” Made with Pecans
Total Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Per Serving 53 calories
Fat 1 g
Carbs 11 g
Protein 2 g
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, ¼-inch slices
- 1 eggplant, ¼-inch slices
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 14 oz fire-roasted tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon garlic granules
- ¾ cup pecans, ground (or chopped for more crunch)
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat broiler. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the eggplant slices in a single layer on 1 baking sheet and the potato slices in a single layer on the other sheet. Layer the onions over the sliced vegetables, filling in any open space on the sheets. Broil the veggies for 5 minutes, flip, and broil for 4 to 5 more minutes, taking care that potatoes don’t get too browned.
- Meanwhile, add the fire-roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce to a bowl. Add marjoram, oregano, and garlic and stir well.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a 9×13 inch casserole dish, spread ½ cup of the tomato mix across the bottom. Then layer the eggplant and potato slices so that they alternate. Pour the remaining sauce over the veggies, and sprinkle the pecans over the sauce. Finish by laying tomato slices on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Tell us in the comments what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know.
Love this recipe? Get all our delicious, plant-strong recipes.