Recipe from Garden Fresh Foodie
Editor’s note: This plant-based recipe for Apple Chia Pudding Parfait is packed with protein, fiber, and vital nutrients. Dates are used as a natural sweetener, and chia seeds are used for thickening. Enjoy.
Chocolate Orange Chia Seed Pudding
Total Time: 2 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Per Serving 109 calories
Fat 4 g
Carbs 17 g
Protein 3 g
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup/2 oz. black chia seed
- 1/2 tsp organic orange zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp raw cacao
- 3 oz. of dates (~5)-pitted and soaked in hot water if hard, then drained
- Topping ideas: a banana (squeeze a little fresh orange or lemon juice on them to prevent browning) and crushed peanuts. For added color and nutrition, add in some pomegranate seeds
- Place all ingredients into blender, like a Vitamix, except topping ingredients
- Assemble puddings as desired.
- Alternative: make Cinnamon Chia Pudding and layer it with Chocolate Orange Pudding for an added yum factor! Make the Cinnamon first, so you don’t even need to rinse out your Vitamix!
• Nothing refined, made with whole food sweetener-dates: Dates are a great source of potassium, fiber, and a source of magnesium, making them great for heart health. The added fiber, helps to lessen blood sugar spikes and moderate blood sugar.
• Great source of fiber-8.5 g, important for blood sugar regulation, satiety, reducing blood pressure, and boosting digestive health.
• High in plant-based calcium, 27% DV: shown to be better absorbed by the body than animal source, it’s important for bone and dental health.
• Good source of plant-based iron, 10% DV, important for oxygenation of blood.
• Good source of plant-based protein-4.3 g; important for tissue repair.
• Grain and gluten free; good for those with allergen sensitivity and helps cut inflammation in the body.
Tell us in the comments what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know!